Concerns for coastal problems are shared across NWE coastal countries. Following the completion of the Demonstration Programme on ICZM a set of recommendations on a European Strategy were formulated. Subsequently, there have been varying levels of engagement with this strategy across EU Member States. The Corepoint partners have identified the following key issues to be addressed:
- Lack of integrated planning and management to achieve sustainable development of NW europe coastal zone
- Lack of engagement and open communication with stakeholders, including political representatives and general public
- Poor links between researchers and policy makers
- Lack of sustained capacity and expertise within local authorities
- Disproportionate levels of progress on ICZM in Northwest Europe.