The project concerns the Prefecture of Magnesia (2 636 km²), which has a multiform, sensitive coastline combining both an excellent natural environment as well as a man-made one. It also includes the northern Sporades, an archipelago a large part of which is designated as a marine National Park. The coastal zone is subject to pressure from tourism, urbanisation, agriculture and transport. The local authorities aim at improving the coordination between all those directly or indirectly involved in the development process, introducing an integrated management approach based on previous experience and improving prospects of success in the future through coordination, information and consultation process.
The local authorities concerned are the Prefecture and the nine Local Councils, regrouping all the communities of the Department.
- A strategic vision for the whole Department.
- An integrated approach to the exercise of the Prefecture's responsibilities
- Adequate information for the above aims.
- A consistent approach to physical planning and economic development projects.
- Operational cooperation mechanisms.
- Sharing of experience at European level.