The County of Dorset has an area of 2 652,74 km² and a coastal length of 146 km. Its population (647 245) is concentrated in the harbour towns and holiday resorts. The majority of the coastline is such a rich natural and scenic resource that it is a prospective World Heritage Site.
Dorset County Council and its partners are very experienced in integrated management of complex zones including natural, urban and industrialised environments. The Dorset Coast Forum (90 members) was set up in 1995.
- Integration of land and sea in the work of the Dorset Coast Forum and identification of the level at which integrated coastal zone management can be developed.
- Consideration of the external influences on the project area.
- Preparation of a detailed comprehensive integrated management strategy for an area of open coast.
- Discussion of results at European level.
- Technical principles for formulating detailed plans.
- Establishment of a cooperation-management process and approach for an area of exceptional natural interest.