The project area covers the Bay of Brest and its catchment area (2 800 km², 360 000 inhabitants). Many administrative bodies are involved in the project: 31 cantons, 137 communes, 13 communities of communes, and the Urban Community of Brest. The natural ecosystems of the bay are suffering demographic, industrial and agricultural pressures. These pressures are themselves detrimental to certain economic activities such as recreation, thus giving a negative image of the Breton coast. To reduce the polluting discharges from the catchment area a "bay agreement" has been introduced in recent years with European support, making it possible to coordinate the projects for reducing pollution in agreement with the main private and public polluting sectors. This initiative has also revealed the need for a broader programme capable of influencing the planning processes and management options determining the bay's future.
- Tackling the environmental problems resulting from past developments.
- Preparing a programme of integrated management of the project area.
- Strengthening cooperation between the many partners concerned and establishing more effective and permanent mechanisms to that end.
- Improving consistency between economic development decisions and physical planning.
- Sharing experience within the European framework.